Oakham Home Gardens and Allotment Society looks after four allotment sites in Oakham; Burley Road, Elm Close, Pillings Road and Willow Crescent. Subscriptions and
rents are the same for each site and all sites have mains water.
We are a non-profit making Society, run by volunteers and funded by members’ subscriptions, site
rentals, income from the trading hut and grants.
Currently we have around 220 members renting over 230 plots, and about 20 gardening members. Gardening members do not rent
sites, but belong to the Society, use the Trading Hut and attend social functions. Together with partners and family, that represents up to 400 users of allotments in Oakham.
Our simple aim is to provide and maintain allotment gardens for the benefit of members.
The formal details of how we run the Society are set out in our Constitution
and Rules. However, our aims in summary are:
- To ensure allotments are used effectively by members to produce vegetables, fruit and flowers.
- To ensure subscriptions, rents and grants are properly spent and administered.
- To maintain Society
assets, e.g. buildings and equipment, in good condition.
- To help and encourage members in good garden practice.
- To encourage sustainability through good use of resources, contributing to green policy and maintaining the natural and cultural environment.
ensure there are sufficient plots by maintaining what the Society has and looking for additional space, should waiting lists justify it.
- To promote social inclusion,
good health and companionship.
- To run the trading hut effectively and efficiently in the interests of providing members with garden requirements.
We cater for all gardening tastes, methodologies and foibles. Our preference is to minimise the use of herbicides and pesticides, (and several members are organic gardeners), but we
are a broad church and accept different ideas as long as there is no intrusion on other plotholders’ enjoyment, and reasonable standards of maintenance and tidiness are observed.
We have a best Allotment Competition every year, with judging in June/July (we will tell you when nearer the date). Awards are made at a Presentation Evening in September. Our AGM is in February/March.
We aim to issue three Newsletters a year, in Spring, Summer and Autumn/Winter. These give dates for the diary, news about the Trading Hut, and any other general reminders and helpful tips.
The Trading Hut is on the Pillings Road site. Please see the trading hut area of the website for more details.